If you had Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, or BookBaby publish or sell your ebooks (or CreateSpace sell your paperbacks) in 2012, how can you find out how much you earned, how many books of each title you sold (and the total income for each), and in which countries your masterpieces sold?

All of the firms send an occasional accounting (Amazon—Kindle and CreateSpace—is the best, telling you your income at the end of each month). But here’s the step-by-step process to get your actual numbers:

Find (or go to, check at My Account, View Reports, Report all 2012 sales (or Payment History in the top row). Enter the dates 1/1/2012 and 12/31/2012. That will tell you the months, books, # of each item sold that month, and income per book. Since they pay at the end of the following month, get the final December total a month or so later. Also, you may not have been paid for some of the last books sold—yet.

Go to, and then to the third choice: Prior Months’ Royalties. Select the 2012 batch, which includes the previous 12 months (generated by the 15th day of the month). So you may have to get the January 2013 numbers to get those last 15 days. Each month includes the titles, quantity of each sold, and your royalty for each. Below the U.S. totals is the same information from sales in the U.K, Germany, France, Japan, Italy, and Spain, all ultimately converted into dollars.

Very easy. Head for, login with your email and password, open My Sales, and the Date/Month. If there’s income from that month, hit the payment ID link and it will give you the book title(s), # bought of each, and the amount paid for each.

More confusing, and harder to tell precisely which month the sale took place. Go to, enter your username and password, go to Dashboard, in the left column find Sales and Payment Report and in the line below download 2012 Sales and Payment Report. See the spreadsheet on the bottom of the page.

Reports are made quarterly, and in each quarter the tallies indicate the titles, quantity, and total income for each item, plus an indication which distributor made the respective sales. The sales spread of our books sold through Smashwords was more limited in 2012, to Apple, Smashwords itself, and Barnes & Noble.

Find, log in, go to My Account, go to the Accounting Dashboard (at the left), download the sales r at the end of total sales, enter a time period (1/1/2012-12/31/1012), then download that report. It tells the distributor (for us, Barnes & Noble and iBookstore), the quantity for each, and the payment total.

I hope my book How to Get Your Book Published in Minutes and Marketed Worldwide in Days helped you get a book together and submitted to the free (or almost free) “open” publishers, so you too received the royalties mentioned above. As you know, once you submit the ebooks or paperbacks, the publishing companies do the marketing and pay you from 35-85% of the income as royalties. If you missed 2012, get going now so next year you’ll be tallying up your hands-off while-you-sleep income!

Best wishes,

Gordon Burgett

13 Comments to “How to find your 2012 earnings from CreateSpace, Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, and Bookbaby…”

1. By dry clean wedding dresss, October 15, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Hello, after reading this amazing piece of writing i am as well glad
    to share my familiarity here with colleagues.

2. By perfect beauty salon, October 4, 2013 @ 8:28 am

I like it whenever people come together and share opinions.
    Great blog, keep it up!

3. By Baja de Peso, September 29, 2013 @ 11:33 am

I caída a un comentario cada vez I como a post en un sitio de
    página o tengo a valioso que aportar a la conversación.
    es provocada por el pasión mostrado en post I navegado.

Y on article% blog_titulo%. I fue realmente movido
    Poste a Comentar 😛 i un par de preguntas para
    usted si no suelen cuenta . ¿Será o do algunas de estas
    comentarios encontrado Te Escrito por cerebrales muertas personas ?
    😛 Y, si usted es escritura at otro , Me gusta mantenerse al día con
    usted todo Nuevo tienes que publicar. Podría Ojalá que hacer una lista todo de
    todos los compartidos páginas como su linkedin perfil,
    la página de Facebook o Twitter feed ? por favor me an
    Muy bueno página tienes aquí, pero yo estaba curiosa
    curiosidad preguntando si sabía de algún foro de discusión de usuario foros
    de discusión que cubren los mismos tópicos here? Me gusta mucho gusta mucho ser parte de comunidad donde
    puedo conseguir sugerencias experimentados individuos personas que comparten el mismo interés.
    Si tiene alguna recomendaciones , por favor hágamelo saber.
    Muchas gracias

Also visit my web-site :: Baja de Peso

• By Admin, September 29, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Lamento pero no tengo recomendaciones.

Gordon Burgett

4. By sovereign grace church, September 25, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

Just discovered this blog thru Bing, what a way to brighten up my day!

• By Admin, September 25, 2013 @ 11:25 pm

Ministers are supposed to brighten up our days, or so says my twin a Lutheran minister almost forever. But if I somehow brightened yours, GREAT!

Best wishes,

Gordon Burgett

5. By Learning How To Shed Those Excess Weight « the off-ramp island, September 25, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

How come you dont have your web site viewable in mobile format? Can not see anything in my Droid.

• By Admin, September 25, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

Because I’m about 800 years old and I’m not sure if you eat or ride a Droid.

Gordon Burgett

6. By Judson, September 23, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
    group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your
    content. Please let me know. Thank you

• By Admin, September 25, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

Sure. Best wishes,
      Gordon Burgett

7. By Gaston Olives, March 24, 2013 @ 9:50 am

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d truly appreciate it.

• By Admin, May 18, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Gaston, it’s a problem but I have no solution. Very irksome. Thanks, Gordon Burgett

• By Admin, July 27, 2013 @ 8:01 am

I wish I did. I find myself in places I didn’t know existed–if they do! I guess just not sharing it in print is the answer. Sorry.

Gordon Burgett