I know, 150% of the time? Yes, it could be much, much higher, but it seems imprudent to scare you in the title. Let’s focus on magazines here, where the pay is higher and acceptances are harder to get. (Selling newspaper travel is easier and the possible sales ratio is higher too, but the pay […]
Category: article writing
Here’s how that works. Let’s say that you have written a book that is 240 body-copy pages long, excluding the front matter, table of contents, bio, and index. Let’s also say that before you wrote the book you created an outline. That outline included an intro/explanation chapter, four systems chapters (each including a different concept […]
MAGAZINES and NEWSPAPERS 1. Here is the two-item formula for selling nonfiction copy to magazines and newspapers: (a) You sell more than 75% of your freelance writing by writing only when you have better than a 50% chance of a sale, and (b) You have better than a 50% chance of a sale by […]
“Is it worthwhile selling your book through Amazon or Lightning Source?” has to be an early question that a niche publisher must ask. “And how much worthwhile?” That’s important because my niche publishing firm already sells 85% of our products directly to our target niche, much of that through its associations. ———- A pinch of […]
I’m a publisher with a stable of six gifted authors, so knowing how many books each of them have sold at any particular time is a pesky problem. Especially if they want to know their Smashwords sales, where we had to wade through a mind-boggling list to make even an approximate tally. Until now it […]
You almost always need at least one interview for a magazine or newspaper article. But it makes much more sense to get three or four, and even many more if you plan to rewrite the original piece again and again. (And if Reprints, Rewrites, or Reprints of Rewrites are your plan: bravo. My $2.99 Kindle […]
As long as you have written a fetching article that an editor wants readers to read on his/her pages, why not sell the same blend as reprints, then mix the same magical facts, quotes, and anecdotes into a rewrite or two with different slants? You could even sell some reprints of the rewrites later on! […]
(1) Can you sell the same article to a magazine and a newspaper? (2) And can you use the same article or item in both print on paper and in the digital market, like blogs, at the same time? The real question for both is “Should you…?” With a big healthy dose of caution and […]
I’ll tell you how in a second. A more important question is, “If you’re trying to put your kids through college by churning out magazine articles, and hoping to sell a couple of reprints from every original piece that you got in print, why in the world would you even put “editor” and “vomit” in […]
Trying to find a grabber website domain ending in “.com” that contains less than an arm’s length of letters is a near-fruitless treasure hunt. You probably can’t use “.org” and will anybody come if it ends in “.net”? The hunt is over. Last February, the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), an international […]
- A paid speech you can book at every association any year…
- How you can sell your articles 150% of the time…
- Multiply your book’s sales by turning your book into 6
- 4 proven ways to sell 75%+ of your freelance writing
- Sample evaluation sheet for seminars and other programs
- How much money do you actually earn selling through Amazon and LSI?
Top Posts & Pages
- Emceeing: how to write a script that works!
- How to Interview a Famous Person…
- Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014
- Copyright and other rights for magazine articles (and books)
- How much money can you earn from articles and related photos?
- How to sell 100% or more of your articles to the newspapers…