Category: MC

image_pdfimage_print

Emceeing: a Barbershop St. Patrick’s Day script

Welcome! Here is another Barbershop presentation script–for those eager to read Barbershop presentation scripts. Enjoy! I’m Gordon Burgett, blogmaster of my own blog, which you are now reading. 90% of the posts here refer to writing, editing, publishing, speaking, and related commentary about selling one’s ideas and information. The other 10% discuss emceeing, which is […]

Tuesday April 26th, 2016 in Barbershopping, blog, emceeing, Gordon Burgett, introductions, MC, MCing, party, public speaking, speaking | Comments Off on Emceeing: a Barbershop St. Patrick’s Day script

Origin of the phrase “out in left field”

Chicagoans gave birth to the term “out of left field” about 100 years ago. The left field in the pre-Wrigley playing grounds butted up to a many-storied insane asylum, and when the crowds made too much noise the lunatics screamed out the windows and banged on pans. Their comments truly were “out of left field.” […]

Tuesday February 2nd, 2016 in article writing, articles, blog, emceeing, humor in articles, MC, MCing, public speaking, sidebars, speaking, writing | Comments Off on Origin of the phrase “out in left field”

Little things not to say when you’re emceeing …

There may be a million things not to say when you are in charge of a program or ceremony. Let me share a half-dozen wee comments that, in themselves, aren’t going to get you hooked off the podium, but, done right, they will easily distinguish you as a professional who is comfortable and smooth… For […]

Using humor to sell your magazine articles

Funny you should ask! One rule always: some editors/publications don’t use humor, so don’t even try. At best the editor may open her lips to chuckle (or groan), then reconsider and toss the query. I can’t tell you which such publications  to avoid because I don’t read them. But it used to be that the […]

A paid speech you can book at every association any year…

I call it the “state of the art” speech, but it could have lots of similar names. And if you do it right, the sponsor is very likely to ask (perhaps even beg) you to give it again and again! (You can even build your own empire around it.) An example helps here. Let’s say […]

Sample newspaper releases for a public seminar (#12 of 12)

Here are two typical newspaper releases I sent simultaneously to every newspaper within about 50 miles of the location, usually addressed to the city editor. They were sent about 2 1/2 weeks before the program. (I have altered some of the numbers.) Item 1: NEWS RELEASE HAROLD SMITH Communication Unlimited P.O. Box XXX, Novato, CA […]

5-step guide to seminar speaking success (#11 of 12)

Several years back my book Empire-Building by Writing and Speaking was published. It’s OP now (although Amazon probably has some dog-eared copies for a penny). Fortunately, I kept two copies on my shelf because some weeks back I was asked to update and share parts of that book for another publication. Since I’m also about […]

Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014

Since we’ve received many requests for completed Barbershop scripts, as formats or models for similar club or organization presentations, here is the July 4, 2014, program at the Marin County (California) Fair. (The live rendition is on You Tube, though the sound capture is fairly poor, being an outside show [in a tent] and surrounded […]

Monday July 7th, 2014 in articles, Barbershopping, emceeing, keynoting, MC, Seminaring, speaking | Comments Off on Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014

A fetching seminar description is a must! (#8 of 15)

However you book your seminar, the sponsors and participants must know what you will talk about; thus, a concise description is your most important calling card. It is either part of the opening correspondence to get booked at a business or corporation, to explain the kind of program or training you can offer, or it […]

Checklists for organizing your own seminar (#7 of 15)

Here is a checklist, in rough chronological order, of the key steps to organizing and programming your own seminar: (1) Write a one-sentence topic for a seminar. (2) Concerning that topic, write answers to the following: Who cares? What problems will it solve? How and where else can the same information be found? How much […]