MAGAZINES and NEWSPAPERS 1. Here is the two-item formula for selling nonfiction copy to magazines and newspapers: (a) You sell more than 75% of your freelance writing by writing only when you have better than a 50% chance of a sale, and (b) You have better than a 50% chance of a sale by […]
Posts tagged: quotes
As long as you have written a fetching article that an editor wants readers to read on his/her pages, why not sell the same blend as reprints, then mix the same magical facts, quotes, and anecdotes into a rewrite or two with different slants? You could even sell some reprints of the rewrites later on! […]
Rarely, but always surprisingly, a reader of my blog asks me how they can read everything I’ve shared about a particular topic. (I bite my tongue not to ask, “Really? Why?”) Yet rather than grill them why, or suggest that they have far too much loose time on their hands, this is what I do, […]
(1) Can you sell the same article to a magazine and a newspaper? (2) And can you use the same article or item in both print on paper and in the digital market, like blogs, at the same time? The real question for both is “Should you…?” With a big healthy dose of caution and […]
I’ll tell you how in a second. A more important question is, “If you’re trying to put your kids through college by churning out magazine articles, and hoping to sell a couple of reprints from every original piece that you got in print, why in the world would you even put “editor” and “vomit” in […]
Sometimes (actually, often) absolutely none. No joke: even provoking a smile by a touch of word play will release you to the path of penury. The editor won’t buy it, and she probably won’t look at future queries from you either! Why? Because either the topic (death, disaster, rape, and so on) won’t allow it […]
This is a very short blog because I will discuss in much greater depth the ways that we identify (and create and present) seminars in later sections of this 15-blog series, which itself is an updating of a workbook that accompanies my How to Set Up and Market Your Own Seminar CD series that will […]
Syndication is the goal of many of my writing/publishing seminar attendees, so let me share what I know about it so you can pursue it farther on your own, if you are then still interested. What they mean is usually one of two things: (1) having a syndication (very few still exist) or a newspaper […]
Sometimes you write a book or some copy that lends itself to being edited into
To avoid the whole issue just read or hear what others say and retell it in your words. That would be the text of your book. But there can be wee pitffalls. If you are quoting them directly, you must tell the reader who they are, and usually the context of the statement. Others often […]
- 4 proven ways to sell 75%+ of your freelance writing
- Sample evaluation sheet for seminars and other programs
- How much money do you actually earn selling through Amazon and LSI?
- Great way to find your Smashwords earnings!
- How do you find interviewees for your articles?
- Profits from reprints, rewrites, and reprints of rewrites
Top Posts & Pages
- How to Interview a Famous Person…
- Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014
- How much money can you earn from articles and related photos?
- Copyright and other rights for magazine articles (and books)
- How to find your 2012 earnings from CreateSpace, Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, and Bookbaby...
- How to write your book’s first draft