If you’ve had a good article in print, why not sell it again and again? To do that you need a cover letter to send to the second editor. These are full-page letters sent to editors who buy reprints (same as second rights)—usually editors who pay on publication. If you sold first rights to the […]
Posts tagged: second rights
Once your article has been in print, why not sell it again and again? That’s a reprint. Or use the same research and rewrite it for other publications? That’s a rewrite (which you can also reprint!) Both are commonly done, perfectly legal, and can increase your income remarkably. So let me talk about reprints in […]
Other than marketing, nothing is more confusing to the new writer than the issue of rights. Actually, there is little reason for bewilderment, anxiety, or even undue concern. Two kinds of rights are involved in freelance sales. “Copyright” is one; “all rights,” “first rights,” second rights” are the other. While they sound perplexingly similar, they […]
When I was much more active selling magazine and newspaper pieces, my hidden moneymaker was the simple reprint cover letter. I averaged about three reprints for each first sale then (though sometimes that took a year or two and a long list of publications that bought second rights). The process was straightforward. I’d write a full query […]
If you want to sell 75% of your freelance writing, articles are king, magazines are the castle, and query letters are the magic key. This section—articles for magazines—is the sixth of 16 about “How to Sell 75% of Your Freelance Writing.” If you can write sentences, it’s all marketing first. Fortunately, there’s no magic to […]
- Can we sell two new books by using 12,200 jumbo postcards?
- A paid speech you can book at every association any year…
- How you can sell your articles 150% of the time…
- Multiply your book’s sales by turning your book into 6
- 4 proven ways to sell 75%+ of your freelance writing
- Sample evaluation sheet for seminars and other programs
Top Posts & Pages
- Emceeing: how to write a script that works!
- Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014
- How to sell 100% or more of your articles to the newspapers…
- Can you simultaneously submit one article to many newspapers?
- Magazines articles are the freelance money chest. Query letters are the magic key.
- Emceeing: How to introduce a lot of people quickly...