If you’ve had a good article in print, why not sell it again and again? To do that you need a cover letter to send to the second editor. These are full-page letters sent to editors who buy reprints (same as second rights)—usually editors who pay on publication. If you sold first rights to the […]
Posts tagged: second rights
Once your article has been in print, why not sell it again and again? That’s a reprint. Or use the same research and rewrite it for other publications? That’s a rewrite (which you can also reprint!) Both are commonly done, perfectly legal, and can increase your income remarkably. So let me talk about reprints in […]
Other than marketing, nothing is more confusing to the new writer than the issue of rights. Actually, there is little reason for bewilderment, anxiety, or even undue concern. Two kinds of rights are involved in freelance sales. “Copyright” is one; “all rights,” “first rights,” second rights” are the other. While they sound perplexingly similar, they […]
When I was much more active selling magazine and newspaper pieces, my hidden moneymaker was the simple reprint cover letter. I averaged about three reprints for each first sale then (though sometimes that took a year or two and a long list of publications that bought second rights). The process was straightforward. I’d write a full query […]
If you want to sell 75% of your freelance writing, articles are king, magazines are the castle, and query letters are the magic key. This section—articles for magazines—is the sixth of 16 about “How to Sell 75% of Your Freelance Writing.” If you can write sentences, it’s all marketing first. Fortunately, there’s no magic to […]
- How do you find interviewees for your articles?
- Profits from reprints, rewrites, and reprints of rewrites
- Want to read all your favorite blogger said about “X” topic?
- Trees and Kids (from Teachers Change Lives 24/7)
- Can you sell the same article to a magazine, newspaper, and blog?
- How to make editors vomit…
Top Posts & Pages
- Emceeing: full sample script, 7/4/2014
- Copyright and other rights for magazine articles (and books)
- How do you set up a magazine (or newspaper) interview?
- How to sell 100% or more of your articles to the newspapers…
- Emceeing: how to write a script that works!
- Magazines articles are the freelance money chest. Query letters are the magic key.